Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by miguel
I’m changing things up quite a bit this year. For nearly the past 20 years I have hunted the same region of the Adirondacks, the High Peaks Wilderness Area. It is a huge chunk of public land that is cross crossed with numerous streams and rivers that surround mountains. The area hasn’t been logged for nearly a hundred years, resulting in a very mature, barren forest. Deer numbers are painfully low some years, but I kept going back because I love that country. Nothing beats spending a November day covering numerous miles here, rarely ever seeing another person. I just wanted some better deer numbers!
This year I joined 2 adjoining hunting clubs in the Cranberry Lake region. This is lower country, less mountains, more marshes. And it’s all timber land, the past 20 years it has been logged fairly heavy. Lots more deer, and plenty of really good bucks are taken from this area every year. One club is an established club, of 3500 acres. The other one is a brand new group this year. The 1500 acres have not been hunted for at least the past 15 years. Overall the whole area looks real promising. The fact that I’ll be one of the youngest in the club at 53 years old, is also promising! Most of the older guys go for a little “camp life” not so much hunting. That’s fine with me.

That sounds like a good deal! Good luck with it!

I can remember when I was 53. Barely