Originally Posted by Pappy348
Once more, they’re not cast, they’re forged steel. The article I read a month or so ago said the machinery had been allowed to rust, probably when they turned off the lights. Once they committed to retool, they were free to make some improvements as well.

I get the nostalgia felt for the good old days (and good old prices), but it’s only been a few months since I acquired, set up, and sold a pre-safety 336. It was a solid rifle, ran slickly, and shot well, but fit and finish were typical of Marlins of that period, okay, but only just that. Ruger is apparently taking them up a notch or so. That’s gonna cost something, but there are gazillions of the old ones out there for those who want them.

https://marlinfirearms.com/s/model_336Classic
From what I've seen Ruger is putting more emphasis on finish than Marlin traditionally did. Wood to metal fit has been less than stellar however, as close up photos showed the metal to be proud where butt stock meets receiver. Ruger is better at fuggin up mechanicals than anybody IME and that was clearly visible in one video of the 1895 from target suite where the hammer rode the bottom of the bolt throughout it's travel. It ain't supposed to do that. Ruger calls their version the 336 "classic" but it really isn't that, as the classic Marlins had a more utilitarian, workaday finish overall. What Ruger has done is taken the classic Marlin, which was a blue collar working mans rifle, finished and priced accordingly and made a "deluxe" version that is anything but "classic Marlin".