Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Some years ago a French archeologist said he found a human hair imbedded in one of the stones of a lesser pyramid. He concluded that the stones are some kind of concrete and had been poured in place. I've never heard of that again and don't know if he was a kook or if he'd really found something.

the main building stones were stepped to provide a 45 deg angle [approximate] after construction the sides were plastered to a smooth surface hence the hair in the face of the stone.
Now for the stone a few miles into Cairo there is an old quarry that is more than a mile long 150 ft deep dont know how wide it was or how deep originally . Part of the Nile river was between the quarry and the pyramids,and that was part of the transportation system. The quarry is sandstone based rock and is full of bedding planes ,[ normal fractures ] that occur in rock some of the stones i saw were quarry mates , were marked and moved together and placed together. yes other rocks were shaped ,ground to fit , being a sandstone ,granite from farther south in Egypt were used as grinding stones . Its a known fact that the farther south u go in Egypt the harder rock u find the hardest being the red granite you find just north of the Ashwan high dam on the Nile where is where many of the oblisks in Egypt and those moved around the world come from. In that quarry is a partially cut one which broke along a bedding plane .
It is thought or presumed that all the red granite that is found in northern Egypt was shipped on reed boats and the oblisks on super sized boats during flood season when the lower levels of the quarry were flooded .

i spent a little time there, Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky