Originally Posted by Starbuck
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
I suggest giving the Sightron S1's a serious lok.

https://sightron.com/collections/s1-series

Al:

I'm looking to give the 1.75-5 S1 a try on a couple of old school levers. Have you ran any of that model since they came out?
I'd be interested to hear how that works out. I considered it but I had a Sightron S-1 before and didn't like their wider than average duplex with very thin center crosshairs that were quick to disappear in fading light. It appears Sightron has stuck with those same crosshairs on the G-2's. It also appears to suffer from the trendy overly bloated ocular bell and power ring that are so popular today and might require higher rings than I want on my lever rifles in order to clear the hammer. Those negatives plus the nearly 13 oz. weight made me cross it off my list as a lever gun scope.

I've had good luck with several Sightrons over the past couple of decades. Haven't found their duplex to be limiting for my uses. The 13 oz doesn't bother me. Main concern is reliability, which I haven't always found with several models of lighter scopes that have smaller ocular housings. I want something that holds zero after a lot of knocking about on FS roads and while tripping over snow covered deadfall while putting the track on or still hunting second and third growth timber. I'd prefer a #4 variety reticle, but is what it is. Center is center.
My old Sightron holds the distinction of being the only scope I ever had internally fog so it didn't get high marks for reliability.