First: I retired 2.5 years ago and am again living on my farm after moving away in 1980. I live next to the SW corner of a square 40 acre field, so, to the tree at the NE corner is 622 yds. There's another 20 or so acres beyond that, so add another 220 to 250 yds to that, for maximum shooting range on this field. My front porch looks out over this field.

Second: I practice out to 700 yards, and if I didn't do quite well, I wouldn't waste the bullets, primers and powder.

I keep a very accurate RRA Varmint Special AR in .223 Wyld handy to take care of varmints I see from the house. I've been able to pretty consistently anchor coyotes out to almost 500 yds, but beyond that I was getting too many spinners/runners so I quit shooting at them beyond about 475 yds. I use fairly frangible bullets 50 to 55 gr bullets to keep ricochets to a minimum, because there are houses about 1.75 to 2 miles beyond. I do not care about the hides.

The coyotes have wised up, and now most I see are 550+ yards away. I busted a couple with a Ruger 77 in .300 Win Mag shooting 130gr Speer HPs at around 3400fps. But I dont like the kick and roar.

I'm thinking of trying a .243 again. In the early 80's I had a miserable Ruger #1 that I never could get to shoot decently, so I sent it down the road. But a varmint shooting buddy had a Rem 700 that was deadly out to 600 yds or so, sometimes more.

I'm buying a Tikka 558 in .243 from a fellow 'Fire member and am hoping to make it a consistent coyote killer out to around 600 yds or so.

Now, FINALLY, the question: What bullets do you .243/6mm shooters use to make those really long shots on varmints?

I apologize for the long post, but I wanted y'all to understand the specific situation I have here. Thanks

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)