Originally Posted by 260Remguy
The best 22 Hornet is probably a 17 HMR, a 221 Fireball, a 222, or a 223!

I've owned my share of 22 Hornets, 218 Bees, 219 Zippers, and several of the associated wildcats. While 22 Hornets are fun, they are a PITA to reload for due to their small, thin, cases. My personal favorite 22 Hornet was a mannlicher stocked Anschutz 1733 with DSTs. A fun gun to shoot, but expensive to feed with factory ammo and then there is my personal bias toward reloading for the 22 Hornet. There probably is a niche for non-collector who use the 22 Hornet, but that niche doesn't appear to exist at my home. For varmints, the 17 HMR will cover about 90% of the 22 Hornet's range for less $$ and any of the 222 based cartridges will cover the Hornet's full range and then some!

Jeff

I'd have to go a +1 on this one. I have had two hornets, both shot great with factory loads but not worth a poop with any handloads I could come up with. I got a 223 and never looked back. Then I found out about the unique, and blue dot loads. Ten grains of unique launches a 50 grain bullet at hornet speed and drives nails. I have a scope with target turrets on the rifle, I keep a log of the zero of all my loads, if I want to shoot at hornet speed I just dial it in. As far as I am concerned this makes owning a hornet not needed, unless of course your one of the loonies and just want another rifle.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."