For a walk around camera I really like a point and shoot. Problem is I haven't found one that last's very long. For soothing my ego, it's my DSLR, D7000 Nikon. Been a Nikon fan a lot of years but I strongly suspect other companys make just as good camera's! This one or that probably do thing's different but unless you are a very good pro your probably not gonna be able to use everything the camera's offer to start with. The main advantage to DSLR for me over point and shoot is I like to blow up photo's quite a bit and I don't think point and shoot's will really let you go there unless you spend a truck load of money on one. Advantage to point and shoot is they are very easy to carry around. Still looking for a good point and shoot to carry bird hunting. Have tried Nikon and Cannon and neither lasted that long and to much trouble getting help from either to get them fixed! had a Pentax that was simply to bulky. Wish I could afford a Leica! Had one Cannon I let a woman at a field trial take home to try out. She never brought it back, good lesson! Don't recall the model but it seemed to be about the best I'd had!

If she really get's serious, I think the way to go is DSLR or mirrorless I know nothing about mirrorless cameras. With the DSLR you get interchangle lens and a few lens's can set her up well. I've got an 18-140, good walking around lens, 70-200 also walking around but to high on the low side. 55-300 I used just to shoot dogs in the field and have a 150-500. Good wildlife lens but I don't use it near as much as I thought I would. Don't get hung up on your camera maker's lens only. Few good companys out there to get less expensive lens from and in fact you put several photo's together using different lens and unless you are a hgh end pro, you won't be able to tell which lens took what photo and good chance even a high end pro won't be able to.

High end cameras are nice to say you have them. I got my last film camera, a Nikon F5. Top Nikon at the time. Haven't a clue how to work most of it and don't reall know what took better photo's, it or the F70 I had before it. But it's importand to know I had one boy! Don't get caught in that trap!

BTW, you like working with wood? Here's a home made picture frame's from an old old piece of barn wood! Couple Britts casting off at a field trial. Nikon D7000 and Nikon 55-300 lens I think it was.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Coffee cups I had made with my dog's photo's on them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DonFischer; 05/04/23.