I was just thinking about this and got something to say. Go relatively inexpensive. My grand daughter wanted to get into it and was tired of using her phone so I gave her a Nikon D5000. Well few years later my son and his wife broke up and he lives here now. He has the D5000! Said he took it because his daughter never used it! I should have got her a hundred dollar point and shoot to start out and see how that would go. Only then can you figure out if they are serious or working a temperary desire! Down side it my son doesn't use it either. He like his phone for shooting photo's and videos. Another down side for him is he hasn't a clue how to get the photo's out of the phone if he wanted to print them. I should just reclaim that D5000 but don't really have a use for it anymore! have a D7000 and a Panosonic Lumix zs 100. You can tie up a lot of money in cameras real quick if your not careful. Read an article years ago by a photography teacher at some colledge. He started out every class on box cameras till they learned to take a photo then took them to manual film camera's! Amazing how many people want to try it just for the hell of it then quit early!