Day 3…..

Off to look for kudu again. While at dinner the night before Eugene got a call from a sheep farmer telling him his son and came hands kept seeing a bull come down out of the mountains and jump the fence into his sheep pasture and was eating his sheep pellets. Then go back up into the mountains in the morning. He said his son seen him with 2 cows in the big river bottom and actually got a pic of him with his drone before they moved off. Eugene showed me a pic and yep that is what I was looking for. Beautiful shape, ivory tops that flare out and a beautiful cape and mane. So we decided to go glass for a while and see if we could find him. Now this was all low fence sheep pasture. 100% wild so please don’t think this was a high fence canned hunt and oh by the way we watched both eland bulls and kudu jump the 8’ fences with ease. Back to the story. Glassing we seen 1/2 doz cows but no bull. So off we went to the mountains. We spotted 3 more bulls but once again passed. We went back for a wonderful lunch. Back out we went around 3. Eugene wanted to stop and pick up some whisky, brandy, and wine for the ladies at camp. While we were in there the ranch band called Eugene and said they spotted the bull coming out of the hills on the very back edge of the property while he was looking for sheep. So off we went. As we got there and was driving to the back we spotting Patrick(farm hand) waving his hat on the top of the ridge. We parked gathered the rifle and off we went. When we got to the edge of the ridge we glasses and could just see the tips of the horns feeding on a big bush. I laid down and got all set up. Ranged him at 354 and got ready. Of course he turned and walked back into the thicket. I knew sooner or later it was gonna happen. He couldn’t get out without me a seeing him. A cow walked through an opening and I got ready. A few min later I could just see his nose and he started taking the bush. Finally he stepped out and Eugene said “wait, there is brush in the way”. I told him I had about a 8” ga. I said I could do it and squeezed. Whop and he stumbeled about 10 yards and turned quartering away on he other side so I fed him another. Mid ribs and into the off shoulder. Down he went! Heck yeah! I got my kudu and what a stud he was! 48” and heavy. Great ivory tips and good curls. Beautiful cape for sure. Just the whole story with the drone pic and all Mde it so much more special! Got all the pics and back to camp. Both bullets made an X in his lungs. Both bullets made it to the hide in the off shoulder. Almost identical entrance and bullet paths through the animal. God I’m in love with africa!!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by RTSJ; 05/05/23.