Day 8…. Last and final day!

Told Eugene let’s go after that big fallow we spotted in the mountains the other day. He said we can definitely try. He said there isn’t many but the rut was over and he should be in the same area recuperating from a hard rut. We got to the area and spotted a different stag. He was very big but 1 side had a bunch of his top points broke off. I passed. I told Eugene it wasn’t a bud deal and already taken more than I planned. lol. I said if we find the one then so be it but no pressure. We kept moving from glassing point to glassing point and finally found him feeding by himself on the side of a steep hill all by himself. Man he looked big. I said let’s do it. Neville and myself made a long stalk while Eugene guided us. We got set up where I could lay down and use the bipod again. We could get no closer. 454 yards. Could just see his palms above the brush. Waiting game began. After about 30 min he finally moved out enough to give me a shot. Just a tine bit of brush which I believed the bullet would arc over. Turned the dial, let out half a breath and squeezed….. whop! Lost him in the recoil. I knew I hit him but Neville said guts! I was upset at myself. All felt good. He only went 10 yards and layed down but couldn’t see him. Eugene said he layed down right past where I shot. Eugene stayed there and told me to stay put and be ready. Neville did the hike to above him and snuck up to where he pile see him. He tossed a rock down into where he was laying. He stood up and stayed walking down the hill. Found an opening about 100 yards below where he got up. Soon as he hit the opening I squeezed another. Straight through the shoulders and down he went. I don’t know if I nicked the tip of a little branch or just enough wind to drift the bullet 8” to the right but either way it is that it is. He was down and I had a big low fence fallow. He was so OLD. Teeth worn to the guns and literally skin and bones. Perfect stag to take! What a way to finish my first trip to Africa!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by RTSJ; 05/05/23.