Originally Posted by Pappy348
Older 29s made prior to the introduction of the Endurance package would go out of time or have other issues if fired extensively with heavy loads. My late brother had an original 629 and it began to skip over a chamber at times. He sent it to a smith for magnaporting, an action job, and a ball-detent in the crane. The Endurance package, according to what I’ve read, makes them able to handle a bunch of hot loads, probably more than the vast majority of shooters would ever fire. For carry, a 29 seems better to me, although a good chest or shoulder rig should make any of the three tolerable.

I’ve owned an early 29, a Redhawk, and a Super Redhawk, all fine guns. My dream gun would be a Super Redhawk with the frame cut back and fitted with a Redhawk barrel like Hamilton Bowen does, maybe in .45 Colt.

I had one of the early 80's 629's and I could not keep the side plates on tight. They would loosen up after just a few rounds. It went back to the factory and all they did put locktite on it. Someone wanted it more than I did at that point and down the road it went.

I had a Redhawk with the 7.5 inch barrel and sold it a few months ago. It could double as a framing hammer if need be . I like the Redhawk better and I kind of have some interest in an Anaconda that my not so local dealer has 6" primarily although he has an 8" model as well.