Killed my lion in Zimbabwe in 2012 (Matetsi Unit 3). He weighed 440 lbs and was 10'6" nose to tail. Intense hunt, harrowing follow-up. Used a Dakota 76 African in .416 Rigby and a 400 grain Swift A-Frame (as loaded by Norma). Kreighoff .470 on the follow-up. No issues in importing him into the US. He now resides in my study and whenever I look at him, I relive the memories of that hunt.

I was in my early 60's then and in very good physical condition. Couldn't do it today, as my knees have become too arthritic to do much walking.

Exclusive of air fare, the hunt cost me around $70K, plus tips. Booked 28 days and shot him on the 4th or 5th day. One of life's great experiences and well worth it.

Outfitter was HHK Safaris and the PH was Anthony Crick. Both were first rate in all respects.

As time passes, you only get older and the hunts get more expensive. There's an old auto racing saying to the effect of "if you're ever gonna stand on it, stand on it now. The longer you wait, the slower you get".