I bought an old Winchester M43 in 218 Bee a few months ago. My intention was to split the difference between what I would use for coyote (223) and fox (22 WMR) in case I run into the other one. I wanted something that would not destroy the pelts. The problem is I have been loading all different combos of bullets and can't get any to shoot very well. I am getting 3" to 4" groups (sometimes worse) at 100 yards from a shooting bench. That means it would be a lot worse shooting off hand. I am no sharpshooter but I expected better accuracy.

I am at the point where I am frustrated with the rifle and I want to explore other options. I may take it to a gunsmith but I don't want to sink money into a lost cause. I hunt the woods so I generally won't take long shots but I am still unhappy with it. I get significantly better accuracy from my 22 WMRs.

Anyway, I have been looking for a 17 fireball or 221 fireball but they are always expensive when I find them. (I am not poor but I have a wife who doesn't really appreciate my many hobbies). I have come across some 222 Rem rifles that are costing around $1000 - $1300 or so. That beats the $2,000 - $3,000 I keep seeing for the less common cartridges.

So here is my question: Would a 222 be able to be loaded down to match the velocity of a 218 Bee / 22 Hornet? If so, would it still maintain accuracy? Would a shorter barrel assist in slowing it down to these speeds? (I have seen everything from 18.5" to 26" barrels on 222 Rems.)

[For the record, I have never shot a fox so I am not sure how much damage the 218 Bee would do to them anyway. I have shot coyotes (big northeastern coyotes). This may be a situation where there is no one cartridge that would be relatively fur friendly.]

Thanks for any knowledgeable advice.