Originally Posted by z1r
Not a rearsenal, a conversion to sporting rifle. Think Brno.

z1r;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that you all are looking to have a decent day down in your part of Colorado and you're well.

Somehow I'd missed this thread earlier or more likely read it and this current memory wasn't twigged then and did now. That or the second cup of coffee has kicked in.

Anyways on the topic of sporting conversions, I recall a couple at least that had actions so scrubbed and polished that not only were all the markings and crests removed, but the receiver radius didn't truly fit the bases all that well. grin

One had a barrel which had a British firm name on it - again I'm sorry I don't recall which but I think I looked them up at the time and they're gone now.

Another one had been rebarreled to .300 Win Mag with a fairly heavy contour barrel so perhaps a gunsmith build and not a factory. The action had no marks left on it anywhere that I can remember, the rear of the receiver was ground too low but otherwise the bolt face and extractor had been well done and it fed okay.

As I type I recall another one done in Austria - Voere - with a wartime action that we did find proof marks and waffenampts on, but they'd not opened up the extractor at all for the 7mm Mag case, so it had always been sort of sticky feeding. The owner had inherited it from a family member who'd bought it new. It was nicely polished and the bases still fit fairly well, so it doesn't exactly fit into the thread, but perhaps a case of factory things which were not always perfect from back when?

So as far as the OP's query goes, some of them were well and truly and seriously and sincerely polished/ground/scrubbed it would seem.

Thanks for twigging the memories and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"