Last weekend I was breaking in my new S&W M686 plus three inch and shooting old familiar Model 65 three-inch HB.

Nothing formal, just seven- and fifteen-yard practice on B-27 targets with old miscellaneous 357 Magnum and 38 Special +P factory ammunition that I had stashed in a .50 ammo can. Some of this stuff went back to late 80's to the mid 90's and most were partial boxes.

I was surprised how well both guns liked the old Remington 158 gr. SJHP and the Winchester 145 gr. Silvertip.

Back in the day I carried a Model 66 with a two- and half-inch barrel, the Model 65 and several other 357 Magnum revolvers loaded with the 145 gr. Silvertip and never felt under gunned here in the southeast.

Is the Winchester 145 gr. Silvertip still viable for defense and general duty? I still have a couple of the old 50 count boxes.

Are there better choices these days? What would be good to stash back, let's say 200 - 500 rounds for a rainy day?

My standard handload has been 140 and 158 grain XTP's on top of Accurate #9 for years with no issues.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi