https://karlyn.substack.com/p/woke-101-why-there-are-suddenly-so

And why they use they/she or they/he pronouns.

This article is a part of the Woke 101 series, which will get you up to speed on the basics that they don't teach you when you become a soldier in the culture war.

My work is completely funded by people like you. Please consider subscribing at $5/month or $50/year to support the most unique and nuanced unwoke content on the internet.

You’ll get special perks each week, and access to all of the premium content on this Substack.

The first political issue that ever captured my attention was civil unions in my home state of Vermont. This was back in the late 90s, when gay people were legitimately treated like second-class citizens, and it was wrong, and we really did need solutions that would allow them to have the same rights as everyone else.

It was a simpler time back then. The time of the LGB, and occasionally the T. But the T was rare. And the Q was non-existent, because Queer was considered a slur. They didn’t reclaim it until years later, around 2015 I think. Correct me if you think I’m wrong, but the term queer seemed to rise in popularity when they needed a new cause after gay marriage was legalized nationwide.

It was the last real civil rights battle. And the left has been regressive ever since.

Do you think it’s a coincidence that the number of trans and non-binary people started to increase around the same time as the term queer was “reclaimed” as a term of empowerment rather than as a homophobic slur?

I don’t.

Because after gay marriage was legalized, they changed the goal post. You can’t be an activist if you have no issues. They moved on from the LGB and focused on the TQ…their next civil rights battle.

Except that it was never about civil rights. It was always about revolution.
Here are a few high-level details you must understand about where the far left is now to understand why there is an ever-exploding population of non-binary people:

Heternormativity is the concept that heterosexuality is the preferred or normal mode of sexual orientation. It assumes the gender binary.

Homonormativity is the privileging of heteronormative ideals and constructs onto LGBT culture and identity. It is predicated on the assumption that the norms and values of heterosexuality should be replicated and performed by homosexual people.

Essentially, if two gay people want to settle down and have a family with two kids and a dog, that is considered homonormativity.

That would also make monogamous gay marriage a symbol of homonormativity.

Queer is not about who you sleep with. It is a political act of rebellion.

Queer is not the same as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or trans. Anyone can be queer. It just means the opposite of normal.

The gender binary is the idea that there are only two distinct, opposite genders - men and women.

Trans no longer means transition to them. It means transform or, occasionally, transcend. I’ve heard Queer Marxists say this explicitly in their discussions.

They don’t want men to transition to women or women to men.

They want to transform, or transcend, gender entirely, and that means non-binary.

The stated goal of the queer Marxists is to abolish the gender binary, or liberate people from the gender binary.

Abolish means to get right of. Liberate means to free yourself from.

Their goal is to get rid of the gender binary of man and woman. They consider these to be social constructs instead of biological reality.

They want to replace it with an infinite amount of identities that are constantly fluid, changing.

Non-binary is the ultimate personification of queer, because it means you completely reject the gender binary.

So, given all this context, do you understand why there are more non-binary people than ever?

This is what they’ve been working towards.

It’s strategic.

It grew slowly, over time, so that no one noticed and then all of a sudden it felt like it exploded. But it didn’t.

Not only is the entry point to non-binary the lowest of all other marginalized identities - you can literally invent whatever it means to you and it’s all good enough because a rejection of the gender binary is all that’s required.

No surgery. No hormones. Unless you want to (and you will get more virtue points for that). Top surgery is almost a requirement among women lately, but you won’t get looked down on if you don’t have it. But Queer Marxists do consider the transformation of the body to be the ultimate commitment to being queer.

So why do some of them use they/she or they/he pronouns? Again, it’s a low-level commitment to queer culture to make sure you have at least a toe outside of the binary. It’s the best of both worlds, both trans and queer (and possibly gay too…or not…it’s all very confusing).

There’s more non-binary people because this is the ideology dictates it be so because their goals are to destabilize the system, or normative culture. Gender is the ultimate norm. So they must abolish it.

When we are all the same, it will be easier to see each other as a collective. And when we are all sterilized, from hormones or surgery, the traditional biological family beings to fall.

When they reach critical mass here, we get to abolish the family.

Then you can really hang onto your hats and enter a Brave New World, where there is no gender, everyone belongs to everyone else, and you will own nothing and you will be happy.

Politics is War by Other Means