Originally Posted by Slidellkid
My 16 year old son has sort of been drifting away from hunting lately, but out of the blue theh other day he tells me he'd like to have a lever action 45-70. I am thinking about buying him a 45-70 for his 17th birthday in a couple of weeks. I have never owned a lever action other than my BL-22, but am familiar with the popular brands of lever actions, Marlin, Henry, etc. Though I know the names, I can't say I know much about the quality of any of the brands, or maybe which rifle models to stay away from. I have looked at some rifles online and am familiar with the general prices. I'm not looking to break the bank on a birthday present, but would like to find a good quality rifle for him. I don't think he wants the brass receiver on the Henry, but he might like stainless and black or laminated.

I appreciate any advice you might have.

Thanks,

Dan
45-70 is ridiculously over-priced ammo if you don't reload. Make sure you're happy spending $50/20 for hunting ammo.
And leverguns are way too expensive for what you get.
If you can find a used Marlin 1895, great. Otherwise Henry is the only sub-$1000 option. Ruger was asking $1200.
Easy cartridge to reload, but jacketed bullet choices are few and spendy. You don't need a fancy bullet with 45-70, but guys buy the high priced stuff anyway.

I wouldn't buy a new levergun today as the prices are out of whack for what you get.

I reload and I've put about 3k rounds through my stainless guide gun. Fun gun. Very packable carbine. Great 150yd cartridge. But when I give it away to the grandkids, it will go with as much ammo as I can load up.