Lots of good options out there, all of them are well suited to do what you need it to do. My personal favorite would be either a new(ish) winchester 1886 in 45-70. Should be some plain jane versions out there for around that $1200-$1600 range; or a new production Ruger made Marlin 1895 (I would recommend the blued "Guide Gun" they have" as it can be had for not a lot more than about $1,000). If used is what you're looking for, a "JM" stamped Marlin 1895 would be fantastic (although I would avoid the ported barrel as others have stated above - while it mitigates recoil the noise is downright painful). These older Marlin's will definitely be a great option and will cost $1,300 plus. Even a Rossi has a better and better reputation with every passing year. I've shot the Rossi recently and its not bad, although any of the above options would be preferable in my opinion. The Rossi will be the most cost effective. The Henry rifles are rock solid as far as functionality goes, but the feed tube has been known to be a problem for some. A buddy of mine had his come out while going through the Brush on a bear hunt. The new side gate makes the Henry a little more attractive. I'm just not a fan of their loading tube and I'm not in love with the lines and looks of the Henry rifles. Safest option is likely the new model Rugers (any of the 3, they're all nice. The SBL is a polished stainless, the trapper is a matte stainless, and the Guide Gun is a blued model - they're all fantastic. Depends on which barrel length you prefer.)

Last edited by fosjam; 07/20/23.