Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I do have a M40 and it is on a 40X with the stripper slip cuts. I will say the 40X receivers are just 700 short action receivers pulled off the line and stamped 40X.

I had a 40X and regular 700 trued at the same time, my guy said the reg 700 was better out of the box than the 40X.

As Butch mentioned, production 40X receivers...even the single shot versions...are just restamped 700's.

The 40XB-BR recievers were different, though. They were ground...not turned...perfectly round for more stable bedding. The top of the rear reciever bridge was contoured by hand using a precise jig for fitting. 700/40X receivers had this area contoured by hand also but no jig was used. That's why many 700/40X receivers end up with the rear base higher/lower/canted.

Good shootin' -Al

That 40x was built/set up for sling prone LR. Used a combo 20 degree rail with match sight mounting holes machined so I could swap open sight for scoped any any matches.

Had to shim the rear some, I forget how much but I remember thinking it was considerable.