Rick,

I doubt my printer would have done that back then. The article appeared in the February 2000 edition of Handloader.

The possibility of an article about such an imaginary (but of course superior to any previously developed wildcat or factory round) occurred during an around-the-campfire conversation between me, Ron Spomer and Dave Scovill during a pronghorn hunt, where we camped in tipis on the prairie of north-central New Mexico. In fact my printer back then might still have been a dot-matrix, which used the paper with "tractor" holes alongside, which had be removed, and the pages separated from each other.

I know I was then mailing "floppy disks" to editors, because they eventually preferred those to scanning in dot-matrix print-outs. Was also still submitting color slides, in clear plastic holders that held 20, because suitable (and affordable) digital cameras were still a few years in the future.

But even those computers, with either floppy discs or printouts, were still a big improvement over a typewriter using carbon paper between two sheets of paper to make a "copy." Have frightened younger writers with tales about those days--but back then the magazines paid better, making the labor worthwhile.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck