That's my favorite state but not that side of the state. I was just in Rapid in July for my anniversary. The best meal we had was the state game Lodge in Custer state Park. We tried local restaurants but didn't find anything exceptional. Found one place awful, Murphy's, downtown. If you like fried catfish, this will sound crazy, try the fish at Golden Corral. Fantastic. We went to a museum at the school of Mines. Free and it was really interesting. There's all the presidents in bronze in the downtown area. It's an interesting and safe place to walk around and see all the statues. If you want to see some really nice trout, Canyon lake Park. You can fish for them but I didn't bring gear. That park is beautiful and really pleasant place to walk and rest. Rushmore is a national treasure. It's a supremely beautiful area. We took a one day bus tour that went to lots of places like Sylvan lake and twisting, winding roads on the needles highway. That way I could look around instead of having to drive while my wife advised me on my driving. Don't go to crazy horse. There is tons of things to do in Rapid. Have fun