The recently purchased Sig X-Ten is proving to be somewhat of a disappointment. Ergonomically speaking, and in regards to the trigger, the gun is outstanding. Accuracy with woods loads is good. The mags are truly a weak link.

The first range session with the gun consisted of some cheap 180gr FMJ plinking rounds. Though difficult to load to capacity, the mags and the gun worked fine. Today's range session with 200gr, .401 WFN hard cast from Montana Bullet Works showed the weaknesses of the Sig pistol. My loads use the book max of Longshot, loaded to 1.250". Velocity is 1150 with the other, shorter barreled 10mms. I didn't bring the chrony along today. Accuracy at 25 yds was good. The problem is that when loaded with more than 10 rounds, the 15 round mag won't function. So basically, when using common bear defense ammo the Sig is an 11 round gun at best. There seems to be something about the WFN profile that ties the mags up. When loaded with 14 or 15 rounds the first round comes out of the mag and then the remaining ones just stay down. The spring or the follower hang up and keep the mag from functioning properly. This hanging up continues until there are only 10 rounds in the mag.

Another irritation is that with this ammo (You know, the sort most people would want to use in a pistol such as this) the gun shoots 7" low at 25 yards. Does anyone have any replacement sight experience for this guns? I plan to check with Ameriglo for a lower tritium front. I looked at the Sig website. They offer an adjustable rear for the 320, but give no indication as to whether it works with the X-Ten. There's also no discernable way to order it. Apparently they have some cult you have to join, the "legion" in order to get pricing and ordering info?

It's looking like the Sig is an expensive "not quite" in the world of plastic 10mms.