I live in a city with a very left leaning council. The cry for housing for the homeless from the council has been going on for a number of years. This same council has taken on major initiatives -- $100M for bike lanes, $25M to try and attract a world cup soccer game or two, defund the police was strong with the council until crime got so high there was push back. They talk but lack focus. Housing for homeless is only part of what needs to be discussed on this side. Building apartment blocks for homeless / low income has increased problems in the areas that they have been placed. So the NIMBY movement is strong based on experiences in other areas.

On affordable housing for starter homes and middleclass the push by this administration has been for lot splitting and construction of skinny homes. Essentially the benefit is back to the city with an increased tax base. We live in a 50 year old area -- average home selling is between $400K and $500K --- a lot split produces two homes selling for between $700K and a $1M plus. There are lots of reasons for the high cost on the homes -- finishing details, high material costs due to increased taxes, increased permit fees, transfer of upgrades required to utilities for the area to the developer. Now stop the skinny's you say --- well our clowncil has decided that there will be no new development of land or sub divisions until such time as the existing neighbourhoods are made over. The surrounding communities must have embraced this decree with open arms --- as there is a future huge shift in tax base coming their way.

On the new build front the cost of materials is sky high then there are the morgage rates --- gone up and going higher. All thanks to the NDP / Liberal team. I am not sure what the salary level would have to be for a new build starter home for mortage qualification.

On affordable starter homes there are lots of older areas that have homes in the $300K range that would be fixer uppers and then take the next step up. This does not seem to be that way most younger people want to go. As this option is there and affordable for those that want to work their way up I tend to shrug and provide no comment.

Hugh