Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
.338 225 grain bullets are excellent for the price. $18 a box of 50. They penetrated 1/4" less than 30 cal 220 grain partitions ($100 a box of 50) when shot into spruce boards. They retained more weight as well.

The wide expansion would be great for anchoring goats/sheep in proximity of steep terrain. Another excellent use, would be shooting caribou in herds, where you don't want to cripple a caribou on the offside, the bullet stays against the offside hide.

Never understood the inferior argument of there being only .03 difference between unexpanded diameter of 338 and 30 cal bullets. Such a narrow point of view. The picture is an expanded 225 fusion next to an expanded 30 cal 220 partition.

These 225 grain fusions will seat flush in the neck, an not impede powder capacity of any .338 federal, or 338 rcm. And no, the jacket isnt thin. Good job Federal on both the 338 fed and the .338 fusions!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Interesting picture, Mainer. How fast were those bullets going? I’ve never entertained the idea of a 225 grain bullet in my 338F, but your post has me thinking.

It's the whole point of a .338: 225 an up. Would be perfect in the 338 federal with lever revolution powder. Velocity was 2550 fps. 338 fed should vet close to that. The 230 oryx is another outstanding bullet for the 338 fed. Will not impede powder capacity.