I have used 10 different Africa outfitters over the years and one lesson I learned is payment in full upfront removes incentive for Outfitter/PH to perform.

Would you pay a contractor 100% of the price up front to do a $10-20k or more renovation to your home?

I have found that ala carte deals i.e. full disclosed upfront pricing regarding daily rates, in country transportation and trophy fee for animals taken provides the best results.

This approach permits reasonable/partial deposit to balance risk for both outfitter and hunter, as well as motivates the outfitter/PH to perform regarding the actual animals hunted/taken.

On my recent trip in August my outfitter/PH (whom I have hunted with 3 times at 4 different locations) mentioned that for large budget hunts i.e. dangerous game , that having funds held in escrow by an attorney seemed to be most reasonable approach for both Outfitter/PH and hunter to avoid either party taking huge "risk"/ "$ loss" resulting from nonperformance of the other party.

Good luck and happy hunting !