Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
hello all: Been a bolt man all my life, but have always admired the Number 1s. If I bought one, it would be a small caliber for coyotes and deer. So how hard would it be to find a used Number 1, not a varmint weight, but a small caliber, maybe .25-06, that would shoot 1" or so with handloads? thanks much.
Good luck with your search. I was in your shoes for quite a while and finally found one that I could afford. Glad the gunshop owner sold it to me for cheap. I like the rifle, but it's no bolt action..

Originally Posted by jay
Except the 1" parts, Guns International or Gun Broker.
Be prepared to pay a lot.
Based on many posts on the subject, an honest 1" rifle may be pretty hard to find, unless it has a custom barrel on it. I lucked into a nice shooting 25-06. It's an honest sub moa for 5 shots. I also say that it is not a "tack driver", like I'm accustomed to with my bolt actions. I don't think guys buy the Ruger #1 thinking they are going to win any benchrest comps with them. Or at least they shouldn't be thinking that anyway. They are a damn fine hunting rifle though. IMHO..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA