BSA1917 said, "This is what I'm talking about. You have the majority of the guys saying this, then you have other few members saying they shoot lights out. Who to believe? Especially if one were interested in buying one, or had the #1 itch???"

I guess you could compare it like that "box of chocolates". You never know what you're gonna get. grin

Seriously though, I have a small collection of Ruger #1s ranging from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby. I'd ben on the hunt for one ever since they first came out in what, 1965? I didn't even see one to look at until 1975, a "B" model in 30-06. I was hoping for the "S" version and I really liked the look.

On accuracy, there's your, "box of chocolates." You pays your money and you takes your chance. Seriously though, I've been able to make most of mine shoot with reasonably decent hunting accuracy. I hunt with mine, or at least did until a bad car wreck. I long ago came to the conclusion that my rifle were made to hunt. I don't need .25" groups to put a deer or elk in the freezer. So, for the most part if the gun is a consistent 1.5" or less I'm reasonably happy. As things go, probably half my #1s shoot at one inch with some much less. There's two, possibly even a third that does not meet my standards. Two run about 2.0 to 2.5" which while still usable does not trip my trigger. No matter. One of these days I'll get into them and fix the problem.

I'd say that in some ways, buying a Ruger #1 in whatever chambering and expecting one inch or less is like playing poker and expecting a royal flush. Well, maybe not that bad.

Interesting thing, but not what you're looking for. I have four Ruger #1s, a "B" and three in the "S" configuration, all chambered to the .300 Win. Mag. Three are older red pads, two from 1976 and one black pad. Every one of them will do .75" or better with a max load of a now long discontinued powder

If you go the Ruger #1 route, be sure to waterproof the wood. Outside they water tight but there is nothing on the internal side of the wood. That goes for the M77s as well.

The 25-06 in the #1B is very pleasant to shoot. I found one that looked a bit rough like maybe rode hard and put away wet. I always run at least one box of factory ammo through a new to me gun and this one grouped like a serious target gun. I've left it be and looked for another donor. Found another 25-06 B and the damn thing has some of the prettiest wood I've ever seen on a #1 and has to work hard to do 2.0" You just never know until you shoot it. Then comes the fun of finding out what may make it do what you want.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE