Recently I purchased a Model 20/26 which, of course, has a Lyman No. 54 sight mounted on the bolt tail block. It is a .250-3000, serial no. 12868, so it was made close to the end of the production of the 20/26. (I haven't received the rifle yet, so this is based on photos from the auction house.)
Stroebel's book shows only one style of the Lyman No. 54, and it doesn't mention a second style. The first style has the elevation adjustment knob on the right side of the sight and a windage adjustment knob on the left side of the sight. My limited research shows this style sight on Model 1920s with the following serial numbers: 5905, 8396, and 10018. This style is also on iskra's early 20/26, ser. no. 10640.
The No. 54 on the rifle I have coming has the elevation adjustment knob on the left side of the sight, and the windage adjustment is now on the right, but it is no longer a knob. It appears that there is a slot in the end of the shaft on which the aperture is installed so that the adjustment would be made by a small screwdriver. I have also seen this style No. 54 on 20/26, ser. no. 12057.
Does anyone know when this change was made? Was this change specifically for the 20/26? (If so maybe the first style was used up on early 20/26s like iskra's.) Other ideas?