My 11 year old daughter, Amy, has always loved coming hunting with me but I was starting to think she wouldn't end up being a hunter herself. She is the kind of kid who is happiest in the outdoors whether hunting with me, fishing (which she is very good at), long hikes or camping in remote areas.

This year she was with me bear hunting in the spring and she loved it. I even managed to take a nice sized black bear while she was with me. It was a great time but there was still no indication that she wanted to be a hunter herself. Then, pretty much out of the blue, she decided in September that she wanted to try grouse hunting. She's done well with that and now she is hooked. She definitely plans to do her hunter safety course soon. In November she was up at 5:15 with me for deer hunting and was an absolute trooper. We were in farm fields and I wanted her to have a meaningful role so she had the binoculars and I had the rifle. We got a buck that she spotted, which she was very proud of, and now she wants to hunt deer and black bear. Black bears would be over bait in the brush at 40 yards or so and deer would be at longer distance in farm fields.

Now I'm looking into a rifle for her use. I've got plenty but I'd like something ideal for her. She's a tall, strong kid for her age at about 5'5" and 110 lbs but she's still only that size and 11 years old. In terms of cartridge I'm thinking of either a .243 or a 6.5 Creedmoor. I like the lesser recoil and flatter trajectory of the .243 but the Creedmoor certainly has a lot going for it too. Whichever it is, she'd likely get handloaded Nosler Partitions. Both cartridges would work but do you see one as a better choice?

As for rifle, I'm seriously thinking about a Tikka T3X Hunter, Ruger 77 Hawkeye Hunter or a used Winchester 70 Super Grade. Right now I'm leaning towards the T3X simply because it's the lightest rifle. My own tastes lean towards one of the other two but the Tikka would surely be a great rifle. Which of these would you advise, or something else entirely?

The only other thing to mention is that she's a competent shooter. She shoots well with rimfire as well as my Ruger 77 Hawkeye .223. She's been shooting since getting her own Savage Rascal at five years old and done a few rimfire precision competitions out to 200 yards. Most importantly she's the kind of shooter who has the self-discipline to make a good shoot or not shoot at all.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness