A couple of recent threads in the Hunting Rifles forum got me to thinking about this, thought I would post my thoughts here where there might be a broader range of participant in the discussion.

Remington has gone to putting Timney triggers in all the 700's now. I think that makes sense for several reasons and benefits both companies.

The issue of push feed vs CRF has pretty much died out and, for the most part, everyone is happy with push feed rifles. What everyone is not happy with, re: the 700's is the fact that the safety doesn't lock the bolt handle down. There are aftermarket safeties for the 700, probably most notably the David Gentry three position, that solve this problem.

As far as I know, or can recall, going to (and identifying/promoting) an aftermarket component in their rifle is a first for any of the big US gunmakers. I'm wondering if the next thing we might see is an aftermarket 3 position safety. It wouldn't be a big trick to insert the necessary cuts in the bolt's CNC machining program to accommodate the part. Going a little further, might we see something like we see now with cars and trucks: custom builders collaborating with manufacturers fore premium versions of their products (think Rousch, Saleen, Shelby).

What do you think?

Mathew 22: 37-39