That a beaut of a Krag sporter. I particularly like the shallow pistol grip typically of quality bolt rifles of earlier eras! All very nice. And that said, to admit my prejudice...

My name is John and I've been "Krag Free", for... Well a long time!" Clarifying as, "acquisition free". I still have my 'stash', of course! Krag sporters for me were a 'habit' for some decades for principally couple of dumb reasons. First, as price point! Quite decent "simple sporterized - as "doing most with least" specimens were cheap. Second modifications were more 'of pattern', such which seldom included offensive scope holes or recoil pads. The genre typically had carbine length chopped barrels and Springfield '03 type forward band-sight. Original aft barrel sights or differing simply iron sight equipment. And that, pretty much 'it'! In my earlier collecting eras, about rock bottom prices and three to four decades ago, such selling as truck guns, average of $50-$60. Last, some special "connect" feelings for the folks that bought these as govt surplus dirt cheap. Humble sporter conversions, to hunting, defense and recreational guns of early Twentieth Century era owners... Or such to conjure.

Of course too, my own exception to my rule of utility genre! My "novel" Krag deluxe sporter. Pretty creative! Few pix submitted here as a "play it again Sam", vision in Fire Forums!

Thanks for a nifty Thread here in contexts of a road seldom traveled!
Best!
John

Attached Images
R91-2U.jpg (26.76 KB, 111 downloads)
R91-3.jpg (22.77 KB, 108 downloads)
R91-7U.jpg (15.98 KB, 108 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 01/19/24.