Originally Posted by Riverc
Originally Posted by Dons99
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Riverc
Thanks for the replies,, I did some reading up on hunting ammo for my gun I like the Barnes. My DB15 has a 1:8 twist so I'm trying to decide which would be best to try.
Barnes VOR-TX 5.56/45mmm 70 gr TSX Boat Tail.

Barnes VOR-TX 5.56/45mm 62 gr TSX Boat Tail

I have used the 62 gr. TSX from a 16" AR on both deer and hogs. It worked with no issues, the vitally struck critters would flinch and run 40-60 yards and pile up. Exit holes were small and I honestly think if I were to use a TSX again I would drop down to the 55 gr. with the idea that the mono bullets need high velocity to really open up and do their work. The 16" barrel limits velocity and the 55 gr. might be a little more dynamic inside the critter.

I like the bonded soft point 62 gr. Fusion and Gold Dot better for an all-around bullet.
Yep I would have to agree with the 55g Barnes, reason being is that I called Barnes for a recommendation for deer and possibly hogs, ar in 5.56, 16 inch, 1–7 twist and they recommended 55 grain to my surprise.
Interesting so what y'all saying is my 16" barrel 1:8 twist would be better with a.223 55gr Barnes instead of 5.56/45mm 62 or 70 gr. Barnes.
I thought the 62's or 70's would do yhe job quite well with all the reviews from people using them hell some swore 70's were a must for quick kills and it's all they would ever use.

I think it's been said but the 63 grain Sierra SMP would be ideal with a stiff load of Tac.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.