A 12 ga. smoothbore, High Standard Flite King DeLuxe pump gun that I still have. Using Remington "Slugger" rifled slugs, AKA Foster slugs. Got a decent body sized 7 point buck just after I had quit for the day, as the light was fading. Got down from the low 6 ft. or so ladder stand I was in, laid the gun down in the leaves to get the rest of my gear together when I heard a deer charging up hill from below me through the leaves. I froze in place bent over and the deer stopped 10 yards to my right. Stayed froze bent over for about 2 minutes until the deer moved a few feet and I slowly began to pick the gun up. The deer bolted at full speed and I swung the gun to my shoulder and made a quick snap shot. As the gun went off I suddenly saw my sight picture and realized too late that I had shot too high and missed. Then the buck crumpled to the ground, twitched a couple times and lay stone dead. When I had fired too high he was at the bottom of one of his leaps, my "high " shot then connected with the back of his head as he was jumping upward. Turns out one of my buddies was walking up the hill to meet me, as he had quit for the day also. He saw the buck jump up and head uphill and heard my shot a couple minutes later. Range was about 20-25 yards.