Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I reckon I misunderstood the purpose of this thread.

Sometimes we forget it is the Campfire. I don’t know anything about Savage 99’s and I knew there were quite a few here that did. I came across the listed 303 Savage and could make a trade for it at a net cost of $550.00. Not knowing anything about models of Savage 99’s and the condition of this one looked genuinely original.

It’s not like I haven’t seen refinished guns and so forth, but in the hands, this gun didn’t look refinished. There were enough comments by guys that knew what they were talking about, that I let it go. Lighting for what it was and how far I was away from home, time at the show and unanswered questions, made me post it here to get a Savage 99 expert’s opinion.

As usual, you have a few losers that know everything about guns and gun shows, but there was also good advice from a few knowledgeable people about which model would be a shiny, bright blue, rather than a less shiny finish. If I get a gun that is new to me, I have to be able to live with it if I get stuck with it and I don’t think a 303 Savage would be one I could shoot easily if I did get it. If it was a 250 Savage, I would have made the deal without any questions…

Gotcha. I’m set up to load 303 Sav, so caliber wouldn’t an issue for me, but hunting down brass could be a headache these days if you don’t already have it. 1899 Savages are really neat rifles, but it has become damn hard to find one in nice, original condition without a stock cracked where it meets the tang, or extra holes drilled in it for sling swivel studs or scope mounts.