Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Fraser
I'm going to building a rifle for my daughter. to use. She turns 12 this year and feels ready to pull the trigger on a deer this fall. We will be hunting in farm fields where shots can be longer. She shoots quite well and finds .243 recoil reasonable (we borrowed a neighbours rifle for her to try). She finds the recoil of my 6.5x284 bothersome and says that she wouldn't like practicing with it. So it looks like she will be shooting a 6mm rifle of some sort.

I recently bought a trued Remington 700 short action from a friend and I'm looking at getting a Krieger #2 contour 6mm barrel. Ideally I would like the performance of the 6mm Creedmoor and the easy ammo availability of the .243. I handload but someday I will likely give her the rifle and she may or may not be a handloader and we might not live close to each other for me to load for her. So while I would build a 6mm Creedmoor for me, I feel like I should build a .243 for her use and have it throated like a 6mm Creedmoor. Does this make sense or am I overlooking anything?

Is chromoly OK?

I have an idea about what you mean for throat specs, but can you elaborate a bit?

Chrome-moly would suit fine for our needs.

What I'm thinking of is chambering for .243 with it throated to accomodate bullets like the 108 ELD. What I don't know is how this would fare in a Remington magazine or if I'm missing anything else.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness