Originally Posted by Windfall
I wanted to see what these red dots were all about so I ordered an RMR for my 1911. I wasn't so convinced that I should mill the slide, so I bought an EGW dovetail plate mount that took the place of the rear sight. Yes, I could target shoot that handgun more accurately. Then I got to thinking how I use a handgun and it isn't for hunting or long range shooting. It is a .38 Special for concealed carry and a .22 for a small game finisher, both of which are close range situations. There isn't anything that I can do with a handgun that I couldn't do better with a rifle other than the convenience of carrying something lighter. I haven't found much need for my larger framed handguns other than target shooting. That RMR was a long range solution on a short range platform. To move that red dot to be sitting atop my J-frame looked like just one more thing to get snagged on the way out of concealment and pretty useless for a finisher when the range is in feet instead of yards. No, it didn't work well for me and I'm glad that it found a better home with Travis for his Glock.

Exactly.

A lot of video games make a pistol a long range offensive weapon. I think there are a butt ton of guys who think likewise - and they put red dots on their itty-bitty carry pistols. To me, this is classic mal-education.