Originally Posted by NMiller
Agree with the stainless on the MKII. The matte version on the Hawkeyes tends to show more scuffs than the shiny ones.

My main hunting rifle is a Hawkeye .338. It's in a Hogue stock, kinda chunky, but it shoots so well that I never bothered to look for something else. Year after year, a couple shots around .5 moa, but often a ragged hole. Then I go hunting. It's ended the careers of a "few" critters. I picked up a MKII 338 with open sights and a silver Leupold last fall. Considering giving that a turn for this years' adventures. It will be hard to leave ol' faithful at home tho...

Got a minty .243 a while back, was going to sell it, but haven't managed to talk myself into it yet. Found a 22-250 boat paddle, those seem to be hard to come by. The Hawkeye .308 will likely be my kids rifle this year. They've been using a youth model American, but will probably let them upgrade now that they are bigger. The Hawkeye 22-250 I bought used, had a bulge in the barrel about 1/2" from the muzzle. Lopped about 1-1/4" off it and recrowned, it now kills yotes whenever I point it at one. (Except that one time hunting at night at full moon). Then the original .300 boat paddle took my best ever moose about 20 yrs ago. And a .300 Hawkeye latest addition. Anyway, probably over sharing, but I like them.

I've tuned up the triggers on some of them, makes a difference. Make sure the mag box isn't putting pressure on the action. Get the action torqued into the stock right. Then go hunt.

Sounds like you have a good collection. First off, they need to be glass bedded.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Then you don't have to worry about what torque setting you run those action screws. They tend to shoot real well, after glass bedding. Second, they all need trigger work. They are horrible otherwise. They also get a good raceway polishing, so the bolts run nice and smooth. More like a Winchester model 70.

You mention 338wm. Those have been some of my favorites. They tend to shoot very well:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
4 shots in that hole.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA