Some nice Rugers here. I sure like mine: a 1991 manufactured tang safety model in 7x57. Nothing fancy, but it has been rock solid and reliable. I did have to replace the mag spring as the original "was sprung" (btw, MKII/Hawkeye springs are an EXACT fit) and I somehow managed to damage my extractor after a hard extraction. Luckily, I sourced a perfectly good used one. It now sits in a period-correct B&C Carbelite stock with the barrel pressure point still intact. It shoots an honest 1-1.5 MOA on average with factory S&B 173 grain SPCE. I recently installed PT&G bottom metal (bought one of the last units in PT&G's inventory!). The rifle could benefit from glass bedding, but it seems to be perfectly serviceable 'as is'. I will likely have a professional bed it over the summer just so I don't have to deal with the ridiculous 90-95 inch pounds of torque that needs to be applied to the angled front action screw and the barely hand tight mag well screw (only gripe). The bluing is deep and shiney, and regardless of weather, it has never had a fleck of rust. I just wipe it down with an oily rag and call it a day. Having said that, I might just break with tradition and have all the metal parts coated in a matte black and simply turn it into a low-maintenance, all-weather rifle. They don't make them like this anymore, so hang on tight to yours. I might grab an international in 243 or 7x57 if I can find one in mint condition--those will stay blued! Those crappy American models seem to be taking over. Bill Ruger is probably turning in his grave.

Last edited by Kurgan; 04/11/24.

If you don't like where you are, move. You are not a tree.