Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by PJGunner
My point being, I have yet to see a Ruger #1 in .300 Win. Mag. that was inaccurate.

Depending on how you define it, I had one. I bought a used #1V in .300 Win Mag at Mazama Sporting Goods in Eugene OR back in about 1992 or 1993. I threw a scope on it and headed for the range. It was pretty awful. Later, as I got used to it, I figured out it just heated and traveled. If I shot at a steady pace on a number of days, the first shots would make a nice group. The second shots would form another nice group but about 2" above the group of first shots. The third shots would all form a nice group about 1.5 inches higher than the group of second shots. And so on. After about 10-12 shots the barrel would be piping hot and the thing would settle into a half inch group about a foot above the cold-barrel point of aim. If I'd stop and let it cool back to ambient temp, then it'd go right up through the warming/stringing process again.

Eventually I got rid of it.

In hindsight I kinda wish I had it back if only to experiment to see what the root of the problem was. Could have been stresses in the barrel. Could have been heat causing something to swell and push unevenly on the stock. Could have been a lot of things. At the time, I was poor, paying 1/3 of my check to uncle sam, 1/3 to child support, and trying to live off the skimpy rest of it. I could only afford to have one rifle and it couldn't be something I had to fight like I had to fight that one. Sending it down the road was the right thing to do at the time .. and it's why it was for sale in the first place .. but some days I do wonder what its deal was.

Based on your comments, I think I know what you needed to do to fix that problem. With the rifle no longer in hand, what I say not has to be conjecture but, I think your problem was caused by the rib.

Bear with me, the rib is fastened to the barrel with screws and two pins. Many times I've seen the rib making contact with the face of the receiver. The barrel heats up and expands forcing the rib to press even harder against the receiver and affecting the barrel's vibrations. The trick is to remove the rid and carefully file off a few thousandths off the end than makes contact with the receiver. If when you removed the ribs from the barrel you hear a pinging sound, the holes for the screws and pins need to be enlarged slightly as they too are affected as the barrel expands. Note that the screws may be sealed with red Loctite and you will have to apply a source of heat to break them free. They are hell for tight.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE