Originally Posted by Sponxx
Thanks for the input so far.
My plans are not to rely on archery to fill the freezer, but ideally get some more time in the woods, plus add to the challenge. I have hunted with a crossbow, and while challenging, the mechanics are close to rifle hunting.
Recurve or compound, my shots wouldn't be more than 25yds, based on where and how I want to use it.
I do prefer the idea of a compound, but it may be due to the learning curve of a recurve.

What should I look for when testing/trying bows?

I embarked on this same journey a few years ago. I will tell you what the guys at my shop told me. Keep the poundage low to start (every bow on the market is adjustable) and as you get more comfortable, you can up the poundage if you feel inclined. Talk to an archery shop about how to set up your arrows. A 90lb draw bow with the wrong arrows is less lethal than a 45lb bow with the right ones. There are a thousand avenues you can take (recurve, compound, releases, sites, etc). but just look at a lot of stuff and see what you like and dont like and go from there. Different strokes for different folks. Just like rifles, you will tinker and change things constantly, but thats what makes it so fun.