Originally Posted by T_Inman
The best asset an elk hunter can have is to simply be mentally tough.

I see people every year fully decked out in Kuiu/Sitka gear, with ultra high end rifles/optics, that simply can’t take 0 F weather, let alone spike camp in it. They generally also can’t get to where they need to be at first and last light. They quit after a day or so and go to the bar. I have crossed paths with dozens and dozens of them over the years.

It is what it is….

100% agree! Adequate size cartridge with a decent bullet in the right place is important. But being fit and mentally tough, or lack thereof, is more important in my opinion. Elk often live in rough country, and getting in a reasonable shooting position competing with others on public land, often requires some "toughness" on the part of the hunter.

I live in the middle of elk country, they reside on my property Spring to Nov-Dec usually. My place is surrounded by public land. Hunting them on my property is far different than public land or a horseback hunt in the Rockies. Ive done both for over 40 years, but these days I will hunt public land only if I get drawn for a premium tag, otherwise, I stay around my place. For those kinds of hunts, you will increase your chances the better prepared you are. I believe being fit is directly related to being mentally tough, if walking miles in rough country doesn't beat you, it is easier to stay mentally ready.

Giving up, heading to the bar or staying in camp, doesn't fill many tags.

Regards,
Manny