Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Shrap, agree there’s no sane reason to hot rod a .45-70.

That's really close to an absurd statement, considering, I suppose, what you want to call "Hot-rodding".

Yes, there is a very good reason to get the most realistic velocity possible out of a 45-70 & it's called velocity, which translates into bullet drop improvement on an already rainbow type trajectory..................unless of course you to like to restrict yourself to shorter shots or lots of ballistic gyrations.

Maybe you are happy with a 270 / 130gr at 2500 FPS when the round is easily capable of 3000 FPS? Likely not.

I've had 2 Marlin 1895's & hunting pards have had another pair.............all mid-1970's vintage rifles.

All have has a steady diet of 53 gr. of IMR-3031 & 400/405 grain bullets for many, many years & untold number of animals.

With not a single adverse event & no obvious negative effect on the rifles. And I don't recall ever really trashing any brass for not being useable or loose primer pockets...............just trashing some because of age brittleness & number of loadings getting high.

But a recoil pad does make life more enjoyable with those loads in an 1895.................

YMMV

MM