I bought a Model 700, 30/06 Mountain rifle, stainless with a laminated stock about 20 years ago. I loaded some middle range loads with Ballistic Tips with a buddy’s dies while I waited for mine to be delivered. I mounted a scope and I think it was the first time I lapped the rings in mounting the scope.

I took it out to my hunting club just to get it on paper, set up at the bench and pulled the bolt so I could bore sight it. I don’t normally do my initial shooting at 100 yards but there was a new backer on the target so I figured I would catch any shots.

I set the rifle on the bags and backed up a couple of feet so I could use the bore as a tiny peep sight. The scope looked really close but it looked very slightly high and that I needed about an inch and a half right windage. I put in 6 clicks right and left the elevation alone.

I fired two shots and they were touching,………. an inch and a half right and two inches high. 😳 Well, chit! 6 clicks back to where I started and I was ready to hunt. I thought, well maybe there IS something to lapping the rings. 😁

Last edited by navlav8r; 03/16/24.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.