Nothing to disrespect about Doris Miller. He ran for his battle station when the bombs started to fall, and his gun station had already been hit. Reporting to the assigned area to be reassigned duty's, an officer had him follow him to the bridge of the burning battleship to pick up the captain and move him to a safer location... he was then asked to help with the loading of an antiaircraft gun but wound up doing all the firing. When out of ammo, he returned to the captain who had already died from his wounds. He then assisted in getting as many off the sinking ship as possible. Him and the two officers he was with were the last three off the ship. And yet after swimming through burning oil and reaching shore. He refused to leave and continued to help rescue as many as possible from the water. There was no recognition for him at the time and he didn't ask for any. He was only mentioned as a black man that nobody knew who was. Wasn't until a local paper started an investigation and he was found that he was given a letter of recommendation. The public was outraged and pressed for recognition of his efforts. He from what I understand was still only given a Navy Cross, while those next to him were given Medals of Honor. Just a cook, no I don't think so... surely none of you here would do what he had done. And then after a short bond drive, he was assigned to the USS Indianapolis, and later the USS Liscome Bay a carrier that was torpedoed and sunk... Doris Miller was one of 644 to go down with the ship.

I'm sure that there are many as much deserved for the honor, but none any more so.

Phil