Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by akgrant
The M77, since it's conversion to CRF, was always marginal profit due to the fact that a CRF action is far more costly to produce than push feed.

I'm not buying that one single bit.

Ruger's "CRF," both MKII and Hawkeye, is just the original MKII action with the front bottom lip of the bolt ground flush to the bolt face. It was a simple conversion, and a lot of us did it before the CRF model was available from the factory. I'm also not buying the MKII action was any more expensive to produce than the original M77 action. I'd bet it was more economical to produce than the original M77 tang safety PF action with adjustable trigger.

Since your last 2 sentences contradict, I'll assume there was a wording mistake in there and you are saying they cost the same to produce? That very well may be the case- within $50-100 or so I'd guess, but the fact remains the original M77 action was Ruger's version of the Mauser action without CRF until they rightly made the switch, which is still more costly to make than a standard push feed action, then add the (minimal that they are) cost increases for CRF, which isn't just a matter of opening the bolt, you also need to change to a blade ejector as well. All this would certainly add up to the original M77 being more economical to produce than the new, but would also therefore mean the New is more expensive to produce.