Originally Posted by barnold
Originally Posted by BangPop
Originally Posted by barnold
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
That's a neat find. And I look forward to seeing it when restored. If anyone would do it right, it would be you.

But fly fishing Holy Grail?

How about an EC Powell 8' hollowbuilt in 5 wt? That to me might be a "Holy Grail".

You need to know more about who Tom Morgan was and what he did for the fly fishing industry. A Powell fly rod is really nice, but not quite the Holy Grail.

This is a boat designed by Tom 30 years ago and Multiple Sclerosis ended his physical mobility and his dream of producing a versatile fishing boat for rivers in Southwest Montana. He took Winston rods from a sleepy California town to Twin Bridges, Montana and made it a premiere fly rod company.

He sold Winston in 1991 and began his dream of creating his own brand of fly rod. After several years of non compete with Winston, Tom started his own company, Tom Morgan Rodsmiths. There he created one of the finest fly rods ever built. MS slowed him down but didn’t stop his success with TMR.

Years later after a 25 year anniversary last year, Tom’s legacy is intact and still producing the finest rods available.

This boat was a small part of what he had planned after selling Winston and before MS disabled him…

If sleepy California town was not tongue in cheek, then I know more about Winston than you do. But I'll grant that you're the Tom Morgan SME.

P.S. Have now upgraded my holy grail to a Per Brandin 2/2 8' 5wt hollowbuilt.

Here we go... a loyalist to something that doesn't even exist... EC Powell never made a 5 weight in the 8 foot variety... they made a 5/6 but even then the Powell rod was always eclipsed by better, smarter made products. Most likely the reason they sold out to the Schwab family for pennies on the dollar. There is pages of controversy to the legitimacy of Powell's existence today. The naivety that because business startups from California are in someway superior to other companies is bizarre. Point being Tom Morgan had the for site knowing that for his investment to succeed he had to leave the problem that is California behind. Historically there were only 7 of these boats made... This boat is iconic and nostalgic because of who and what Tom Morgan accomplished with multiple businesses and Multiple Sclerosis. Your comparison between Powell and Winston (Tom Morgan) is naïve.

A 1958 Lincoln Continental wasn't a very attractive car but that doesn't detract from the fact that they are one of the ugliest cars in history fetching a premium for its collectability. "ignorantia juris non excusat", also " it is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than open it and remove all doubt"" Mark Twain.

Sounds like you’re pretty up to date with the craftsmanship aspect of classic rods and boats. You might consider having a go at making a driftboat like the one Shrapnel posted above.

Maybe.... What if (and this is a big "what if") I'm the guy that built that "sexy" wooden boat you reference above... wink
You disappoint me. I thought I might stimulate a more vigorous response. Shrapnel and I were on a little road trip and told him I was going to see if I could light the WWW on fire. Your boat is a beautiful specimen. Excellent work to say the least. I've seen other boats that look to be made on the same, or similar plans. It probably took at least a couple months to build...... right?