Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Jim1611
In my area, northeast Missouri, the family owned farms here are usually running about 3000 acres. Some of that is rented ground. I have no way of knowing their finances or care to but they all are driving the newest and best pickups and farm equipment, live in the nicer homes around here and take plenty of vacations every year. If they're hard up it isn't showing by the way they live.

Sounds kinda like you care a little bit.
Not caring but observing what our taxes are helping to fund. When your neighbor brags about how much he gets from subsidies on oats and barely and never raised a crop of either it seems fishy to me.

There is something called "basis"...where you get paid for crops you used to raise.

I am not sure how it works.
I rent out what little farm ground we have. I want to put it all in CRP but they use a date back in the 1980's for the comparison. We did not have row crop on that ground, we had hay. So, the USDA has no basis to compare to. So, until the Congress changes that date, we will be renting out the ground.

kwg
If it's fenced, you could rent it out as pasture to get cropping history to be able to get it into CRP. Or find out how many years of grain it takes to get the min cropping history for the CRP application.

Unfortunately, it's not fenced. The price of fence material is sky high. I don't have enough years left to make it pay for me.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.