Originally Posted by Chuck_R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
You asked about an "accurate" gun. That means different things to many people.

I will skip a bunch of typing and just say this; I would use a White Oak Armament upper in whatever configuration best suited my needs and tastes. I would put it on a good quality lower that had a decent trigger. A good Colt, BCM, whatever. That matters a lot less, as long as it is quality, and assembled by someone who knows what they are doing.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

I have used White Oak barrels and uppers in more than 2 dozen builds for guys and all shot very well. Usually using MK262 (77 grain Sierra Matchking), but that was what was available for them at the time and location.

Bottom line is that it is extremely easy to simply put a WOA upper on a good lower and be done.

I've got 1 WOA barrel on an SPR build I did, 18" fluted SPR profile. It's shooting very well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

5rds of Sierra 77 grn OTM at 100:

3rds of 77 OTM at 307yds on my turkey swinger head, quit when the bolt head broke off:

I've taken it out to 600 yds and it holds with our .223 bolt guns.

To the OP, it all comes down to task/purpose.. accuracy requirements and budget.

The good news is whatever you get now can be easily modified later if it doesn't match your needs. But as the other guys mentioned, there's a chit load of difference between a defensive carbine set up and a precision rig IE; barrel length, profile, trigger, optic, trigger etc.

That right there is why I have put together so many guns using WOA barrels. A number of those uppers found their way overseas, as the guys buying them were using them to do good work. When done right, you can have both an ultra reliable AR that is also superbly reliable.

It is not legal to take privately own weapons overseas, but guys would take uppers and optics. So guys would have me build precision uppers, then bolt them onto their issued M4 carbine lowers, and run MK262 ammo. This gave them the ability to put accurate fire at ranges that were normally beyond the ability of a typical issued M4 barrel.

Now WOA builds complete uppers and you can simply pick up whatever configuration suits your needs rather than have someone put together an SPR "type" rifle. Almost all the guns I built had 16" barrel and the early SPRs were mostly 18" barrel guns. But for guys wanting a single "all around" carbine, the 16" guns were by far the most requested.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com