Have heard one gobble on my land in 5 hunts. They just aren't talking, even the hens are quiet. After another quiet morning we left about 10:30. Stuck it out until 2 the day before. Got on the paved road and decided to drive around to where the powerline comes out on it...and there he was in full strut about 500 yards away at the top. So we turned around and went back, opened the gate, got all our stuff back on and headed up the loggin' road to him. This road has a pretty decent incline around 15% and comes out at the crest of the top of the powerline. You about out of breath when you get to the top. My sons has been pulling the trigger the past few years but this one was gonna be really hard to sneak up on with two of us and not be seen. So when we got close to where the road came out I had him stay back, I dropped my turkey vest and all I had was my shotgun and mouth call. After getting low and pretty much crawling up slow and quiet as I could I finally got up to the powerline and got set against a tree. I didn't know if he had seen me or not, he was just on the other side of the rise. I just sat ready for about 5 minutes, if was still there he would be only about 75 yards away. Couple clucks with the mouth call and I shutup. About 5 minutes later, I see barely see the top of his head, then I barely see the top of his fan, he's headed my way. More of him finally started appearing over the rise and he stuck that head up nicely. Game over. Son came running out of the loggin road all grinnin and happy we could make it happen. Team effort. You'll see in the pic just the kind of hills we deal with, even in Ga at the bottom of the piedmont region.

Anyway, I love a turkey story. "The gobblers I have known"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by killerv; 04/08/24.