Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Atta Boy !! " Take a kid hunting & You'll never have to hunt for the kid"

Can't read this without thinking of this incident!

My dad first took me hunting when I was three.
He never skipped taking me hunting every season until I was old enough to hunt on my own.
We hunted the same lease in East Texas until pop passed in 1981. I hunted it one more year before the landowner sold out to Ducks Unlimited. So, from 1951 to 1982.

When I got my driver's license, I would borrow dad's truck.
I would go to camp Friday after school. Hunt Friday afternoon, Saturday morning and afternoon. I could also hunt Sunday morning, but I had to be home in time to go to church Sunday night.

As I loaded the truck one Friday, mom (not a BIG hunting fan!) asked me why I never had a date or hung out with friends on the weekends? You always go to that old camp. I just smiled and drove off.
When I returned Sunday morning, mom was waiting for me.
"You missed all the excitement this weekend." she said.
"Jim R., Randy S. and Roger M. got arrested for minors in possession of alcohol!"
"Pretty much SOP for those three every weekend!" I replied.

Dad had already told me he needed the truck the next weekend. When I got off the bus the next Friday, dad's pickup was sitting in the drive.
When I walked in the house, mom said, "I got you some bacon, eggs and pork & beans! You going hunting this weekend?"
Needless to say, I decided to go hunting!

True story.

I hunted mostly a bow/shotgun only county, I kept a mossberg 835 behind the seat of my single cab chevy 1500, it and a lightweight camo jump suit. I'd head straight to the woods after school and throw that jump suit on over my school clothes. I remember the first big buck I killed by myself. I ran back to the truck as quick as I could to call my dad on one of those old bellsouth bag phones. Good times.